Thursday, August 30, 2012

Savoy Grill

The Savoy Grill
Strand
London
United Kingdom
WC2R 0EU
1-800-257-7544
 The grand entrance (photo from the savoy website)

One evening on a recent trip to London I was hungry and in the neighborhood so I decided to stop and see if I could get a seat at the Savoy Grill. Lucky for me they had room for one and I was able to sit down for dinner.

The service was great an international brigade of servers was top notch.

I ended up having just two courses, an appetizer of foie gras, and a main of the rib steak (suggested by my server).  The Foie was one of the best i've ever had, it was a large rectangular piece of deliciousness. A light pineapple sauce was just a perfect addition. As for the steak I was persuaded away from the porter house (a personal favorite) and tried the rib steak.  Having a North American palate is usually a deterrent Europe and Asia from ordering steak in general. Let me say this steak was incredible, it was  tender to the point I hardly needed a knife to cut it, it was one of the juiciest steaks I have ever had; although not what I am used to, grass fed beef jus is much different than corn fed. The flavor was a bit of a novelty for me, delicious different yet closely familiar.

As for the wine, I had a couple glasses of the malbac. it was a well matched glass.

The price was expensive, however London in general was expensive. In truth any good steak anywhere in the world would be in the similar price range.

The dining room has a great bit of charm, it is a historically styled yet classy room.
(Photo from the Savoy website)

Recommended to anyone passing through London. The service you get in this price range is as good as you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment